RE: [RC] [RC] The Price of Gas - Kristen A Fisher

I think you may be confusing ethanol [which is widely known now to be a poor
substitute for regular petroleum based gas] with bio-diesel which can be
derived from other sources like used frying oil from fast food places. I am
not a supporter of any ethanol programs.

In terms of nuclear power - yes there is waste but is it highly concentrated
and massively contained, which is vastly different than the waste
by-products of burning fossil fuels. And since we are so fond of using intl
examples on RC ask the French whether they think nuclear power works - over
70% of all their power is nuclear.

And the water than runs through nuke plants is in the main NOT contaminated.
It is used for cooling and doesn't come in contact with anything that makes
it dirty, radioactive or unusable. The towers you typically see are actually
emitting steam that has cooled the reactors, not smoke. The plant I worked
at in NC actually takes water in from the Cape Fear River, uses it to cool
the plant, and then pumps it out into the ocean. Yes there is what the
fisherman call a "hot spot" a little off shore but it's the best place to go
to catch bait fish.

Kristen

I don't think there is enough soil in the USA to grow enough
corn or whatever, to make into enough bio-fuel to run all the
cars.  Furthermore, corn is a huge depleter of soil
nutrients, so the soil will have to be fertilized repeatedly
in order to maintain the crops.  Most fertilizer is made from
oil, so aren't we back to the beginning of the circle?  Or