Re: [RC] The Price of Gas - Truman Prevatt

While in general terms the elevated price of petro will provide incentive for development of alternative technology - petro does not really operate completely in the free market. Petro is a "strategic resource" and as such the US government is very willing to work to insure stability in the market.

Long range development of expensive technologies is not something the free enterprise system does well. Public companies cannot afford a 10 to15 year R&D cycle that many technologies would require. The prime example is nuclear energy. Without the money the Government poured into the science and technology associated with nuclear energy I seriously doubt if nuclear energy would have been a viable alternative. True most of the research was for defense related technology, long range fuel sources for the Navy, nuclear weapons, etc. The development of the first nuclear powered submarine by the Navy paved the way for commercial generation of electricity. The "space race" with the Soviets took the transistor that was first built at Bell Labs in Shockley et. al. in 1947 and developed it and developed the fabrication technology to build integrated circuits. This was a massive effort. By the end of the 1960's all the critical components had been developed by large Government R&D programs and the technology was ready for commercial prime time. The same is true for satellites. The massive amount of R&D dollars put into space technology by the US Government (and Soviet Government for that matter) developed the technology base for commercial satellite technology to take off.

Today solar is on the verge of being economically feasible - but it's not there yet except in specialized applications. At the rate it is going it may never get there. I looked at a solar system for my house and while I would like to do it - the payback for it is 30 years. I can make a lot more money by putting the same money into a reasonable investment than putting it into solar. That is the problem.

Many times the R&D for break through technology - be it the basic technology or the technology required to fabricate the components in a cost effective method - is very expensive and if the payback is too far out capitalism alone is normally not a good model to develop the technology. As John Maynard Keynes pointed out with capitalism "in the long term you are dead."

So I suspect it is going to take a lot more than expensive gas to push the alternative technologies over the top. The one that seems to be ready for prime time is wind. But there seems to be a lot of "not in my back yard" associated with wind energy fields.

A stable price of petro is too important to the US strategic interest to allow the supply to become too expensive or unstable. That has been true since 1945 when FDR and King Al-Saud formed a strategic alliance to insure the stability of middle eastern oil needed by the US. That is why we fight wars in the middle east.

As Joe Long pointed out a big issue with gas prices is our refining capacity. Hopefully that might be resolved at some point. But there is the "not in my back yard issue there also."

Tomorrow we will head out to Mississippi and then on up to Kentucky. I guess we'll just drive a little slower to save some fuel.

Truman

k s swigart wrote:
I find it slightly humorous that an assortment of people here are, at
the same time, advocating the development of
new/alternative/cleaner/whatever fuel technologies while at the same
time bitching about the high price of gas and how we need to do
something to do something about both these things.

The way to encourage the development of such technologies is for the
price of gas to continue to go UP or for the increased price to become a
permanent state of affairs.

History has shown us (since the price of gas, in real terms is not as
high as it was in the late 70's early 80's), that a lowering of the
price of gas will just return users to their former profligate ways with
respect to its use.

New technologies will not be developed unless there is an economic
reason to do so.  And there will never be an economic reason to do so if
there is a competing technology with is both cheaper and easier.

For those who are interested in the development of new fuel
technologies, the high price of gas is a GOOD thing.

kat
Orange County, Calif.

--

“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong” Richard Feynman, Nobel Laureate in Physics