[RC] feed rations - Spottedracer

If your going to increase the available glycogen stores - you've got to add more to their daily ration and basically increase their total bodyweight. (Body fat is where they pull energy from after they've used what's already stored in their muscle)

Most of the research I've found, indicates that adding unsaturated fats to their diet is the most effective way of increasing body weight.. This said, I know of several stable managers (myself included) who've had great success with adding beet pulp shreds (the most digestible fiber source) along with added Veg oil - to the diet. (regardless of if it's commercial - or a custom-mix)... I personally have the Beet pulp as 30-40% of the concentrate ration - and have adjusted the vit/mineral levels to balance in my custom-mix. I also give my Endurance mounts 1-2lbs of Alfalfa pellets each morning. (main concentrate mix is only 11% protien)

For forage we use as high quality a grass hay as we can find (wasn't very good this year....)  and seed our fields with clover + oats + winter wheat.. and St Augustine + Buffalo in the summer... For the rides - we have a Timothy + a tough of Alfalfa mix hay.. Just found it - and they LOVE it!! (at twice the cost - they BETTER!!)

- LP