[RC] Tying up - Spottedracer

I read recently that researchers have found a genetic connection with Thoroughbreds and a particular type of tying up.. Does your horse's AQHA side contain a lot of TB blood?  I believe there are supplements/treatments for this type of tying up syndrome..

Another thing I personally would consider doing - Is taking that horse outt've endurance for well-over a year.... Turn him into a long-distance slow trail riding mount.. Build him up slowly on steep hills - take your time.. Ride him at the minimum of 2 times per week (I prefer one midweek session - then one weekend session.. give LOTS of time for muscle recovery and adaptation)  After that year, start introducing a faster pace in the arena - or lunging... Add the trot in ten minute increments - adding ten minutes every 3-5 weeks.. Until your up to 40 minutes.. Then add the canter in 5 minute increments - until your up to 20-30 minutes..

It's a long-term process of bringing non-arab horses into the shape to compete/complete well in endurance... I personally ride gaited half-appaloosas.. Takes me 6 months to 18 months to get one ready for an LD.. Almost a year to two years to get ready for 50's...  But I TRY to play it safe with my mount's longterm health..

Good luck!
- LP