[RC] High fuel costs - members of ridecamp - Spottedracer

There IS a big difference amongst members of this list and their fuel usage....

Take myself as an example.. Yep, I drive a 3/4 ton Diesel - but it gets twice the fuel mileage per mile as the same size gas engine.. It's an older Diesel engine (pre-2007) - which means it can easily run on the Biodiesel20 - when that fuel becomes readily available (BTW 2007 and later Diesels CANNOT run on Biodiesel!)....I currently pull an older steel fivehorse w/sleeping quarters - and DREAM about finding a used alumimun of the type you describe.

Now, when gas hit $1.30 per gallon - I added up how much I was spending on fuel driving to and from Nashville 5 days per week in my 3/4 ton and older 1/2 ton...If I purchased a little car that got 30+ mpg - I'd save enough to pay the car's payment AND put fuel in it.... So I ran out and bought the ONLY low-end car (at that time) that got that mileage - a Kia Rio..

So now, almost three years later.... My 3/4 ton is only driven once or twice a month.. Generally only driven when hooked to trailer.. I only go to multi-day rides within about 300 miles radius of my farm. I only do long training rides at city/state parks within 30 miles of farm...When we camp with the trailer - it's at the state park 5 miles away..  Both my husband and I regularly drive cars that get 28-35 mpg..

So not all endurance riders guzzle gas.. Many of us can't wait for biodiesel to become readily available!

- LP