From: rides2far@xxxxxxxx [mailto:rides2far@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, May 07, 2007 9:14 PM
To: kskf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] Feed regime

 Dane > Frazier has
implied that he feels that even feeding alfalfa during a ride can
negatively> impact the parathyroid production/mobilization
of internal
calcium.

Is this something recent or from the old lecture on the
Farnum "Endurance" tape?  In that he said that feeding it on
a daily basis would make the body less capable of mobilizing
internal calcium, sort of like it gets lax in making the most
of what it's got because it's always got too much. I
understood it to mean not to feed it on a daily basis, but
it's great to hit them with the extra on ride day.

Alfalfa is my number one choice of ride day food. So long as
my horses are eagerly chowing down on alfalfa, all is well.
They usually switch back over to coastal late in the ride though.

Angie