FW: [RC] Feed regime - Jim Holland

As Ed points out, the BIG deal is to keep the horse?s gut full?.whatever he
wants.? As Angie has frequently pointed out, usually that is what the people
who are crewing next to you have, which is obviously better than what you
have. <grin>

However, there is more to it than WHAT you feed?.it is HOW you feed as well.

I feed what my horses are going to have at a ride daily at home?.AND I try
to provide a ?similar? situation with regard to WHAT they see at a ride.? I
want their gut to see EVERYTHING at home that they see at a ride, including
their feeding routine.

I feed Alfalfa, but at home only half a pat once a day at as a ?treat?, but
I want their gut to see it.? At the ride, they can have all they want.

I could leave my guys out 24/7, but I want hay in their diet, so they are in
long enough (during the day in the summer and during the night in the
winter) every day to eat at least a pat of hay.? (I feed Bermuda
exclusively?their pasture is Fescue)? I want their gut to see the Bermuda.

They get slurry of soaked, very wet beet pulp mixed with a basic sweet feed
every day. (I feed the basic Horseman?s Edge from Purina) I vary how much
and how many times a day depending on how hard they are working.

Three days prior to the ride, ?Perform ?n Win? gets mixed with the slurry.?
Magic also gets Selenium supplement daily.

As the ride day approaches, I increase the number of feedings, arriving at a
feeding every 4 hours the day before the ride to the horse that?s going,
which is how often I feed the night before the ride and on ride day.? (We
get up and feed during the night) I want him topped off and sloshing when
the ride starts.

I continue to add Perform ?n Win to the slurry for two days after the ride
and ramp down the slurry feeding the same way I ramped up.

If I am out conditioning for more than 3 hours, they get slurry on the trail
to simulate away Vet Checks.

I periodically feed in the pasture in a flat tub instead of in a bucket in
the barn, because that?s what they see at a ride. I want them to ?recognize?
that tub.

It?s important to remember that a horse loves routine.? The less ?new stuff?
he sees at a ride, the more comfortable he will be with that environment.

All that said, keep in mind that ?winning? to me is competing against THAT
trail on THAT horse on THAT day with his welfare foremost in my mind.? Where
he finishes with regard to everyone else is irrelevant.? I want to take home
the same horse I brought to the ride.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic

Richard T. "Jim" Holland
Three Creeks Farm