[RC] Feed regime - Todd Hezeau

I wanted to get peoples opinions on this before I actually try it. My mare is on a dry cob diet, corn , oats, and barley along with Select II vitamins and soaked beet pulp. She gets fed twice a day. I have a 26 yo gelding that is doing wonderful on Nutrena Safe Choice and beet pulp. I have been contemplating feeding my a mare a bit of my geldings feed a few days before a ride, during and few days afterwards and then gong back to her straight grain diet. It would not be more than her beet pulp ration which is about 20% of her grain ration, so she would be getting 20% more feed. The reason I was considering this was to give her a bit more energy reserve for ride day. Safe Choice has a 14% protein, 7% fat and 15% fiber. It's also something else that can be soaked easily in water as well as the beet pulp although she does drink well on trail. Do you think it would be something worth trying, something not to try. I would like to hear opinions on this. We have completed 5 fifties this season and she is doing fantastic. All of her scores are really good. We are not top tenning but I'm more into putting miles on her at this moment and depending on how well she does at the end of the season, I would like to try a 75 or 100 at the beginning of next season. Just a goal that I'm shooting for. So give me some opinions please, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

Safe Riding,
Todd

Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.