Re: [RC] Feed regime - Sisu West Ranch

What do you use for forage?

Personally, I have always fed the same mix except while competing.  While competing they get as much as they want of whatever they will eat, though I usually offer my same beet pulp-grain mixure plus my grass hay plus whatever hay is at the vet stop plus whatever they steal* from the other horses.

During a ride a horse is basically surviving on glucose stores in his/her body plus fat stores.  It takes time for whatever is eaten (except for simple sugars and some starch) to be digested and available for energy.

Ed

*Angie had a great post/or article on this awhile back.

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

(406) 642-9640