Re: [RC] Dodge City Shootout - magnumsmom

We trailered up to Kansas on Friday for the Dodge City
Shootout.  Blue and I went to see if we could mentor
any new people through their first AERC 50 mile ride.

The base camp was at the Rodeo Grounds in Dodge City,
roughly 45 west of Greensburg.  We had a bit of pelting
rain and lightning the night before the ride but not a lot.
It turned out to be the western edge of the same storm
that dropped the F5 tornado.

On the trail our group of 5 riders was hit by nickel sized
hail and withstood a few unnerving and too close for
comfort lighting strikes a few miles out from VC 2, but
fortunately only a little bit of hail and only a few strikes.
We were heading under a wall cloud when Courtney
found us.

Tornadic activity was popping up to the north, and again
down in the Greensburg area on Saturday afternoon.  The
decision to bring people in was the correct thing to do
given the situation.  The ride headed east all day.  While
a tornado (or two) did not develop in the immediate area,
one could have formed at any time as all of the conditions
were present.

Fortunately our Saturday afternoon wasn't more exciting.

Kathy Myers
in Santa Fe, NM