Re: [RC] [RC] Can anyone tell me the color of my horse? - Elyse Carreno

That is certainly original! He does look like a dark grullo color, but without the primitive dark markings (dorsal stripe, darker face) I guess that disqualifies him! I would have to agree then, that he might be some dark shade of a liver chestnut, or maybe what's called "black chestnut" which really isn't black at all. Of course, he is half arab, so who knows what shade he night be at 10. Also, once his winter coat sheds out, his new sleek (and unbleached) summer coat may be more telling. It also looks like he might have a mix of the darker appy leopard spots, as well as the lighter snowflake pattern...is that even possible? lol

On the same note of crazy colors, a friend just forwarded me pictures of a pure bred arab baby that is honest to goodness VERY overo, blue eyes and all. I figured it was a product of a "pasture breeding accident" i.e. someone's daddy is not the real daddy at all, but mom is also overo and registered, so it seems to be legitimate. Can anyone explain that one?

An pure bred, papered mare I did endurance on in high school was gray, but when you bathed her, you could see patches of pink skin in a paint pattern underneath, and sure enough, her grandson (a chestnut) turned out with slight hintings at being overo. I guess genetic off shoots show up now and again.

-Elyse in Va