[RC] [RC] Help please... dark urine! (Update) - Patti

I'd still err on the side of caution and agree with Don's advice - can't hurt to see if "fresh" feed makes a difference.
But your description does sound a bit dehydrated - urine is often cloudy when the stream starts but normally clears as the bladder empties.
Also, if his ration is pretty high calcium/low phorsphorus he could be eliminating more calcium than usual and horses tend to crystalize calcium in their urine (more, for example, than people do) which could cloud it a little.
Doesn't hurt to measure his water intake for a few days (i.e. if he drinks from a waterer, turn it off and water him from a tank so you know he's getting at least 5-10 gal on cool days, more when working. Adding 1-2 ounces of loose salt (approx 4 teaspoons to 3 Tablespoons) to his feed can also help encourage drinking.

Patti K
Vail AZ

The vet's office called me back first thing this morning.  I gave them all the
info I gave you... actually sent the same email to them... and the vet said not
to worry unless the urine is the color of port wine.  Especially considering
that his behavior is normal in every other way.  I wanted to double check that
answer so I called the local endurance vet ... used to be Zephyr's regular vet
until we moved ... and he said the same thing.  SOOOO I'll just keep an eye on
him.

Thanks for your input everyone!
-Sharon L. in Maine