Re: [RC] Biltmore -- First 50 -- Advice Requested - Truman Prevatt

rides2far@xxxxxxxx wrote:
- Does it make sense to increase beet pulp ration slightly in the days preceding the race to improve hydration?

I wouldn't. Would you want to be water logged starting a marathon? Beet
pulp makes my horse gassy. That can't feel great. :-P There may be
reasons Garlinghouse would say to but I've read in a runner's magazine
that there's an "Optimal running hydration" kind of thing that's a little
below norm.

One thing I noticed when we first got the scales and were "babysitting" helping people use them was some horses really lost a lot of weight - like 10 pounds more than the average (which was about 30 to 35 pounds). Most all of those that lost the larger amount of weight finished within the average. After talking about this it seems that some horses started out "waterlogged" and it didn't help them because they lost the extra water rapidly. I would not give any "extra" anything before the ride. As Angie says beet pulp can a horse gassy and probably dose anything positive. The way you get good hydration is to make sure he has sufficient opportunity to drink.

- Can Biltmore be done without pads or pour-in pads?

I've done it *many* times (4 100's, lots more 50's) I think I"ve had pads once with a flat footed horse. No big deal. The roots'll get ya before the rocks will.

- What can I do to help my horse during the holds?

It depends on where you are coming from. If it is the Florida or SC sand dune - you might want to pad. Otherwise just watch where you are going.

What I've always found about the Biltmore to be the biggest challenge was not the rocks but the slick NC red clay mud after the afternoon thunderstorm that always seems to fall. You will sure need your traction in that.

--

“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong” Richard Feynman, Nobel Laureate in Physics