Re: [RC] Horse done.... - Lynn White

Title: Re: Horse done....

I  am so sorry to read about your horse.  It is so sad to look out at you horse/friend and know that you will not be able to ride him

When I was in High school I rented out someone's horse for lessons and trail riding.  The owner had too many horses to ride.  The horse stayed on the owner's place and I came over and rode 3-4 times a week in the summer.  I even threw in on lessons with their trainer. Fortunately, the area was quite rural and one could trial ride in the surrounding woods. It was a great way for me to learn how to ride and helped the owner with the bills. I paid something like $40 per month in the summer and $20 per month when school started.  I mowed lawns, cleaned houses, and babysat to earn the lease fee. This was back in the late 1970's.

I grew up in the Detroit Metro area and would ride my bike 17 miles one way to ride until I got my driver's license. You have NO IDEA how badly I wanted to ride.  So chances are there is a young person out there like me who would be more than willing to give your buddy a job and help you buy his medicine and forage.  There are also many parents out there that would love an arrangement like this…it means they can save for college instead of buying a horse that their pre  teenage girl  is likely to loose interest in when they get boy crazy.

The funny thing about all this is that I ended up becoming quite good at road racing on by bike and did many 100-mile bike rides.  It was also a great way to meet guys because not many women road-raced back then.  Funny how things work out sometimes!  But I haven't pushed a peddle since I got into endurance riding!

Good Luck with your horse,

Lynn