Home Shop Classified News, Stories Events Education Ridecamp Videos Cartoons AERC
Endurance.Net Home Ridecamp Archives
[Archives Index]   [Date Index]   [Thread Index]   [Author Index]   [Subject Index]

Re: [RC] Horse done.... - Jeanne Slominski

Hi Val,
I'm basically in the same boat, only my horse doesn't look lame. My shoer thought Wichita was a bit stiff on his left front, this last October. Had my vet do a check in November. Trotted him back & forth, and in circles. Couldn't find anything - no heat, no swelling, no lameness. Then she did a flexion test and he was three legged lame. Did x-rays, which showed nothing in front, but he is developing some arthritis in his left rear. She thinks I may be able to do slow LDs on him, a very big maybe. Wichita's 17. On top on that, his back has dropped, and of course his saddle no longer fits. Sooo, here I am, just retired, lots of time on my hands, and no horse to ride. Very frustrating. Luckily I have a sweetheart of a deal for pasture so I don't have to make the decision of what to do with him.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2007 12:18 PM
Subject: [RC] Horse done....

Well, the vet was out today to evaluate my horse, Phoenix.  He's effectively been lame for 3 months.  After all was said and done, the vet said he needs 8 to 12 months off, and then he can probably be a light trail horse.  It's a disheartening evaluation, but it wasn't unexpected.  The horse is about 12yo, and he's not exactly well put together.  I got a few good years out of him, but his endurance career is over.  I knew it was coming, and knew it for eight years.  Now, I have to figure out what to do with him.  I'll never be able to ride him again, as he'll only ever do well with a much lighter rider, I'd say no more than 150 to 175.  I'm well up into the 240 range with tack.  I'd love to find him a new home, but there's that whole lay-up thing, AND, just to make it more difficult, he's got a thyroid condition requiring daily medication.  It's not expensive (less than 75 cents a day), but it'll be a hard sell, even for a give-away horse.  I'm hoping ya'll have some ideas for this guy.  He's really a very nice horse, and I'd hate to euthanize him if he can be happy with someone else.  Also, I'm going to have to get another horse, and I'm not sure I can sell my husband on keeping two horses, especially one I can't ride.  Phoenix is very willing, and he gets along really well with other horses.  He'd even make a good "companion" horse.  He's been used to break youngsters in to trail riding.  He's got a good chance of being a light trail horse after a recuperative period, so he could probably even do that again.  If anybody has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.  I will euthanize him if I must, but I really don't want to.