RE: [RC] FEI rule changes - Steph Teeter

-----Original Message-----
From: Steph Teeter [mailto:stephteeter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, April 27, 2007 9:29 PM
To: lawdoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [RC] FEI rule changes

Carol - this is very well stated, and I absolutely agree with you on general principle: that a smaller,more elite, more qualified field is more appropriate.  I'd much rather see 50 really top competitors at a WEC, than 200 odd assortment of horses and riders from every/any country in the world.

However, I have a real problem with the 10:40 speed requirement. There is one thing that sets this sport apart from every other FEI sport, and that is the variation in venues, the variation in courses. And the speed requirement (both the 13:20 and the proposed 10:40) do not adequately take into consideration variation in climate or terrain.The main thing I object to regarding the new proposal for qualification is the time/speed requirement. I don't think that even the best horse and best rider in the world can finish either a Tevis, or a 160km ride in Malaysia, in 10:40.  And I think it is somewhat abusive to the horse to make this the standard for excellence in this sport. I've always considered the horse an animal that can - naturally - go very fast, or go very far, but to do both is to put incredible strain on the system.

but - it's good dialog, and your comments are greatly appreciated.

Steph