Date: 4/27/2007 6:46:29 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] Vosals

I have one and tried it.  It worked great for control on Rose, she is a puller.  But, I don't use it one her because she being 1/2 paint has a bigger nose than a purebred Arab and the vosal has a tight fit.  She has a hard time eating grass with it.  Plus, the rawhide nose piece rubs her nose raw.  With it as tight as it is, there is no room to wrap or cover it...so it just sits.  I tried it on Aires (purebred Arab) and she didn't work well with it at all.  She would toss her stupid head.  So, again it just sits.

Jody  (Biltmore bound in only 6 days now  !!!!)

Barbara McCrary <bigcreekranch@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The concept is that the hinged pieces of metal toward the back of the Vosal act as a pincher on the jawbone.  There's where the control comes from.  I've never tried one, but have been tempted a couple of times.  I think if one pulled too hard, the control might be a bit severe, but as I haven't used one, ever, I may not know.  In some ways, it looks like it might act much as an old-time Spanish jaquima, with the rawhide bosal and the horsehair reins.

Barbara