Date: 4/24/2007 12:12:00 PM
Subject: [RC] Horse's first 100!

Have a 9 y.o. mare. She's completed 2 50's many many miles of tough LD's and CTR. Doing a 50 this weekend and then either a 50 or 75 next month. Contemplating trying the OD 100.

I've read from many folks that is speed that will hurt the horse and not the distance.

I know of many people that barely do any 50's in preparation of a 100. John crandell's horse that was at a 100 this winter only completed 1 50 before his first 100 and heraldic 3 50's before Tevis.

 This will be her 4th year in competition. Just completed a really hot and tough 30-35 mile CTR with only 30 minutes at 1/2 way hold. Ride time was around 5 hrs. I think. Just about every horse was overtime. The last 5 miles she zoomed. She finally woke up! I think she'll do great on the longer distances. I know all horses are different just trying to get some more opinions.

Kyle

thekids18049 at aol dot com

See what's free at AOL.com.