Re: [RC] Horse's first 100! - Jody Rogers-Buttram

Kyle,
  I certainly am not the OD expert.  But I have done that ride once.  Joni, my daughter has done it and then the NC 100 on that trail.  I would go with the believe that, yes, all horses are different.  And I have been told NOT to compare other horses to Cash Pony.  He only did 3 50's before he did his first 100.  But, he did have a lot of background miles on him at home.  And he did have someone with experience setting his pace thru the ride.  Me.  I believe firmly in background miles, and some age on the horse.    Mature legs  mean a lot.  When it comes to 100's, the horse does need those miles either on the trail or at home conditioning to pull from.  Very important is the riders' experience.  100's don't allow for as much error making as do a shorter distance.  A really good rider can take a fair horse and do ok.  I didn't say win, but do it.   Had I ridden Heraldic, I know I wouldn't have won ANY of those rides he did  !!!!  That was the combination of great horse and rider.

4th year is enough.  I would judge and see how she does after the 75.  And if I was thinking OD 100....I would for sure test her in the 75, not the 50.

 But, I will say this:  I LOVE your attitude and will to want to do a 100 miler !!!!!!!   There truly is nothing better than 100's !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jody  ( Biltmore bound in 11 days )

Thekids18049@xxxxxxx wrote:
Have a 9 y.o. mare. She's completed 2 50's many many miles of tough LD's and CTR. Doing a 50 this weekend and then either a 50 or 75 next month. Contemplating trying the OD 100.

I've read from many folks that is speed that will hurt the horse and not the distance.

I know of many people that barely do any 50's in preparation of a 100. John crandell's horse that was at a 100 this winter only completed 1 50 before his first 100 and heraldic 3 50's before Tevis.

 This will be her 4th year in competition. Just completed a really hot and tough 30-35 mile CTR with only 30 minutes at 1/2 way hold. Ride time was around 5 hrs. I think. Just about every horse was overtime. The last 5 miles she zoomed. She finally woke up! I think she'll do great on the longer distances. I know all horses are different just trying to get some more opinions.

Kyle

thekids18049 at aol dot com

See what's free at AOL.com.

Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.