Re: [RC] stirrups breaking - Lori Bertolucci

As a kid, I rode everywhere bareback. I rode horses that weren't all that well trained. It is amazing how you learn balance under those conditions. It has helped me a lot throughout the years. And even to this day, I can ride at a fast trot, without having a foot in the stirrup, or move it around to find a more comfortable position without slowing down.  :)  And if my horse spooks sideways, I just follow along...of course now that I have said that, I will probably end up on  my rump the next time!  lol

Lori

Jennifer Adam <jatatahoe1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I learned to ride at all gaits, post, and jump without stirrups. I never
gave it much thought until I was riding my first horse at a nice little
gallop through the field. We startled a pack of coyotes and he spun around
and bolted flat out for a line of trees. When he spun, the leather strap
around my stirrup gave out and the stirrup fell right off the fender. He
proceeded to jump a 4' fence, a log, and a big ditch before I could slow
him. I nearly panicked at first with only one stirrup, then remembered my
lessons, dropped the other, and just rode it out.

Although it isn't something I'd ever like to repeat, in a weird way it did
give me more confidence if something should break... And now my kids are
learning to ride without stirrups. (Er... very very slowly and with helmets,
of course!!!!!!)

Jen - wishing spring would come back - snow flurries in April is just wrong!
:S

Download Messenger. Join the i?m Initiative. Help make a difference today.