[RC] Reason for shoeing-Allisa Norman - Thekids18049

HEY!

Well.

Let me start here. I'm 17 years old and living at home. My pop is a so called "traditionalists" and it took everything in me to try and explain the whole barefoot and benefits to him. ( I LIKE SHOES TOO)

Well I finally got him slightly convinced. He would only allow me to buy the regular easyboots. I figured once he saw how they worked I could 'UPGRADE' to epics or renegades. Well that didn't happen. He wouldn't budge. And I knew for what my plans in competition are this season I need more than "easyboots".

Also, had a little issue with them. My gelding just turned 6 years old. Has had shoes on basically since he's been 3 or 4. Can't remember exactly. Anyhow, we took the shoes off and immediately starting using the EZ boots. I thought they were working well.  He began having what I thought was "ouchiness" so I decided to put shoes on him for a 50 that weekend *this was 3 weeks into being barefoot I had only done about 15 miles in these boots and didn't feel comfortable doing 50 miles in them even though the terrain was NJ sandy pine barrens. Well he came up even more sore with the shoes on. Was good a few days later then lost the shoe. Note this was the same foot that was sore.

Was sound without that shoe in the pasture (I know...that was a NO NO)

Farrier came and put shoe back on. Once again HEAD BOB!

Now it's been approximately 2 weeks. Had a fairly strenuous 2 hr. ring lesson with him this week. Mostly trot/canter. This was in collection. That type of stuff. (We do the hunters)

Something that may have happened was I was making the boots very very tight. Maybe I was making them a little too tight? Or maybe something came out that wasn't showing with him being shod continuously?

Not sure...

But there you go Allissa! LOL
Kyle

(So until I'm free from the nest (lol) my horses will have to have shoes...

See what's free at AOL.com.