Re: [RC] endurance horse question - rides2far@xxxxxxxx

I have a question for all the experienced endurance horse people.
Taking into consideration that it takes 2 to 3 years to get a horse
fully conditioned for endurance, how long do you work with
a "prospect" before you decide he/she really isn't cut out for
the sport?  What are reasons for giving up on a prospect?

I think a lot of people confuse just what it takes 2 to 3 years to
make. I believe it takes a good 2 years to have a horse ready to RACE
up front. I will do a 50 after about 90 days if it's a mature horse
who has been fairly active in his past. Kaboot did his first 50 6
months after I first got on his back. With him it felt right. With
Josie's young horse that was more gangly we waited a year, and that
felt right, but speed is the main thing you've got to be really well
prepared for.

That said, I will condition a horse 3 to 6 months, take him to a
ride, and if he likes the sport and I like him, that's good. If he is
just a completer I can enjoy completing. I cannot stand a horse that
gets pulled, also, I wouldn't continue to compete on a horse that
wasn't having a good time. That would be no fun, making some horse be
miserable because it was *my* interest.

If your goal is to go fast and place high it can take a couple of
years to know whether a horse has speed. I wouldn't give up on a
horse picking up some speed for a couple of years. Kaboot didn't
start wanting to go fast on 50's until after he'd completed his first
100, then he suddenly thought he was superhorse. :-)

Reasons for giving up:  Lameness, attitude (not having fun),
incompatible (the two of you just don't mesh), a difficult ride
(rough or out of control dangerous) Not a good traveler; doesn't take
care of himself (gets  in metabolic trouble). Too boring or too
exciting...just not your kind of personality. The horse that is wrong
for you may be perfect for someone else. Don't feel like you *have*
to make it work with one particular horse.

Angie

Angie