Re: [RC] endurance horse question - FXLivestock

In a message dated 4/12/2007 6:44:33 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, rnbianchi@xxxxxxxxx writes:
I have a question for all the experienced endurance horse people.  Taking into consideration that it takes 2 to 3 years to get a horse fully conditioned for endurance, how long do you work with a "prospect" before you decide he/she really isn't cut out for the sport?  What are reasons for giving up on a prospect?

It depends on the horse. I don't know if my answer is going to be helpful :)   I have given up on a horse after one or two ride seasons.  But, I have also put 5 years into the horse I am riding now  before I decided that he would make a good endurance horse.  It depends on what the strengths and weaknesses are for that individual and if you can manage the weaknesses and faults AND if that horse's strengths are desirable to keep putting time into the animal.

I had one horse who was a great hill horse but really had a race brain and wouldn't pace.  His greatest fault was that he wouldn't eat at vet checks so I never knew if he was too stressed or was OK.  I spent about 3 years of riding him in competition trying all different things, riding all kinds of distances including multidays, positioning him in different places during the ride yet he never became a good eater.  I couldn't live with a horse that wouldn't take care of himself.

The horse I am riding now was very similar to the horse above except he had more of a race brain.  BUT he would take care of himself at vet checks.  I bought the horse in 1999 or 2000 and again tried all different things to teach this horse to pace and relax on the trail. In five years he really never got with the program.   In 2005, I decided that I would condition him for a 100 and if he could finish a 100 I would continue putting time into him.  If he couldn't he was going to find another job.  He finished that first 100 in 2005 and has completed three more since with ease. Now I only enter him in 100s.   I can live with (manage) all his faults because his strengths over come his weaknesses AND I don't feel his weaknesses are "detrimental" to his health like the other horse.

With one of my horses, it took three years of steady conditioning and competition before she really showed what she was made of.  When I first started this mare, I wasn't sure she was going to ever be a good endurance horse or be able to do 100 miles.   She turned out to be much, much better then I ever would have expected.  I am really glad I didn't give up on her but could have easily found her another job.  I enjoyed the process with this horse so it was worth finding out what her real potential was.

I guess my main criteria for giving up on a horse would be 1. when the weakness or fault is detrimental to the horse's well being whether that be physical, metabolic, or emotional  2. When the challenge of bringing the horse along stops being fun or fulfilling.  For most of us this is supposed to be an enjoyable hobby or activity.  If an owner/rider feels he or she has exhausted every possible means to be successful with this horse why continue?  In the end (at least for me), I want my "fun factor" to at the very least come close to being equal to the amount of work, heartache, money, disappointment,  etc. that I invest in endurance riding.

Kim Fuess
AERC #6648

See what's free at AOL.com.