Re: [RC] endurance horse question - Laney Humphrey

Before saying anything I read what others had already posted and don't disagree with any of them. Here's another reason that's a biggie for me: not bonding emotionally with the horse. I had a mare once who surely could have done endurance but she and I just didn't like each other very much so we didn't have a good time together. If I'm going to spend 8-10 hours on the back of an animal, I want to be having a good time. She found a new career as a dressage horse. I had another horse once whom I adored even though he was a bossy, head strong know-it-all. He and I did many endurance miles together but I finally sold him because his idea of endurance was going really, really fast. Unfortunately, he could only do that for 25 miles. Since I prefer multi-day rides and a moderately slow pace, we would fight the entire 50 miles and I'd come home with arms feeling like they were 10 inches longer than they'd been when we started in the morning. He also didn't take care of himself at the trailer. He found a loving home with a woman who does nothing but LDs and loves to go fast. BTW, I owned him for 6 years and cried all day after she pulled out of my driveway with him but I knew it was best for both of us. The horse I ride now, whom I've had for 9 years, spooked and dumped me regularly up until maybe a year ago. But I trust him 99% of the time, he gets the job done and seems to enjoy going down the trail. Most of my friends tell me he would have been dog food years ago if he were in their barn. So I guess it really comes down to what faults each person is willing to forgive and what talents they value.
Laney

Rebecca Bianchi wrote:
I have a question for all the experienced endurance horse people. Taking into consideration that it takes 2 to 3 years to get a horse fully conditioned for endurance, how long do you work with a "prospect" before you decide he/she really isn't cut out for the sport? What are reasons for giving up on a prospect?