Re: [RC] endurance horse question - Truman Prevatt

Rebecca Bianchi wrote:
I have a question for all the experienced endurance horse people. Taking into consideration that it takes 2 to 3 years to get a horse fully conditioned for endurance, how long do you work with a "prospect" before you decide he/she really isn't cut out for the sport? What are reasons for giving up on a prospect?
It all depends. Most people start our with what they have. Most healthy horses can do endurance at some level. Most horses can after some work do a slow 50 for example.

As far as time. A good trail horse with a foundation and no significant faults (all horses have some fault or another) should be able to do a CTR or LD without much problems. That is probably a good place to start (especially if you are new to the sport) and you don't need 2 or 3 years "conditioning to do that."

As far as giving up on him. I've been talking about giving up on the Jbird from the day my wife gave me the untrained brain dead idiot 12 years ago. We just became a decade team last year and I'll probably keep him ;-) . I don't think you really know till you get there. Most issues can be worked. The one issue that would cause me to give up is a chronic metabolic problem or intermittent lameness where the cause could not be found or the fixed.

Truman

--

“Since when have we Americans been expected to bow submissively to authority and speak with awe and reverence to those who represent us?” Justice William O. Douglas