Re: [RC] endurance horse question - Jody Rogers-Buttram

Rebecca,

    It does take  2-3 years to build a good horse.  But, there are "degrees" of that building process.  The first year will be very slow rides.  I always start mine out in 50's, but there certainly isn't anything wrong with doing the first year of LD's or CTR.   I just tend to do all my "LD's" at home....for free.

So, that first year of slow rides, the next year of rides just a bit faster, maybe a little tougher trails. And the next year you can ask the horse to do even more.  But at anytime during this building, if your prospect isn't going to work...he'll tell you.  It may be a  lameness that comes up after you have been working him solid (not fast, but consistent) in the first 6 months.  That is pretty much what I have found.  If the horse had something that wasn't going to work, 6-8 months was more than enough time for it to surface.  I have never had a horse that didn't have the "attitude"  ( my Jet horses are always willing to go down the trail), therefore never had a reason to give up on one for anything other than a lameness.  And only had 2 of those  (I didn't raise those either).

Maybe that will help.

Jody

Rebecca Bianchi <rnbianchi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have a question for all the experienced endurance horse people.  Taking into consideration that it takes 2 to 3 years to get a horse fully conditioned for endurance, how long do you work with a "prospect" before you decide he/she really isn't cut out for the sport?  What are reasons for giving up on a prospect?

Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.