[RC] Children's stirrups - Spottedracer

Speaking as an instructor with over a decade of experience working with 'little tots', and as a mother who's two youngest having belt buckles they've won since the age of 3 years....... Here's two suggestions/observations:

Why teach the child to be dependant on stirrups at such a young age? Both of my 2nd graders have NEVER used stirrups, and can ride both my 'bouncy' appaloosa and my gaited horses - either bareback or in a saddle... they can do barrels and  pony club jumps - never getting unbalanced. And, no, my stepson isn't the type of child whom will ride anything anyspeed anywhere - he even shrieks like a girl when his mount stops to eat grass. (Unlike my daughter - whom is very confident)....... I've continued this theory into my teaching - and now NONE of my students are allowed to use stirrups (except for mounting) until they are up to a canter and jumping. Since changing my old philosophy on stirrups - my students are now much more centered, balanced and confident in the saddle - Then when I used to start them in stirrups.(traditional teaching methods). And now I NEVER have to worry about the 'beginner' students ever NOT 'coming off clean' if/when they do fall off...

If you're determined to teach her to depend on stirrups, then I'd recommend those 'safety stirrups' with the rubber bands on the outside edge. One of my friends has run a large pony club barn for many years - and swears by them..

- LP