From: "Alice Yovich" <ayovich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <Dbeverly4@xxxxxxx>,<natrc4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,<horsesctr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
CC: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [RC] [CTR] coggins testing
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 21:56:44 -0500

Because he was a relatively inexpensive horse ($1200) and b/c the vet check
was quoted at $250, they weren't going to do a vet check. She's had a couple
checked and they were older than they were supposed to be and had some other
defects that they passed up on. I think the original thought was that he was
cheap enough and he was young enough and he hadn't done all that much work
that it shouldn't be that big of a deal. Originally it looked like an
uncomplicated, inexpensive horse.The horses they had checked were about
double the cost. Enough people knew the history on this horse. No one was
worried. IT's just a horse for the kids to start out on.

I guess this leads me to my next question. Do all of you guys have all your
horses vetted each time you buy one? I can honestly say that I have never
had a horse vetted. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've always been OK.
I've bought from breeders, dressage club members.I did have Freeley checked
out when I got him just so I knew what I was looking at.and that's funny
since he was my "free" horse, but the others I've just gone on sellers'
reputation.