[RC] Coggins testing - Thekids18049 - sherman

Even though the chance of a positive is slim you’d still want to get it done if it is required. Some horses are only carriers and have no symptoms but spread it to others. If you don’t get the test done before the purchase and you need to do one later, maybe for traveling, and the horse is found positive at that time, then the horse has to be quarantined for the remainder of it’s life in a screened stall with a 200 yard buffer zone from all other horses or be euthanized, which is what many owners opt for rather than keep their horse so isolated. Either way not an outcome you’d be happy about.

Kathy

Hey,

I wish I could find the site I found this info. on. I'll look and see if I can find the exact details. I looked it up a few weeks ago.  I think the year was like 1990 or something. They testing a few hundred thousand horses for the virus and I think it was over 100 that were positive. They did it again in 2001 I believe and I think there were like 5 horses out of 900,000 or so that actually tested POSITIVE! So really what is the chance that a horse has the virus. And if it did wouldn't you notice something not right about the equine?

Honestly, in my opinion, I wouldn't really worry about it. But that's just how my family is. If a horse has the virus you'll know. Look up the symptons, I don't think you'd get away with selling a horse that was positive that doesn't show the symptons. I'll look those up again too unless someone knows them.

We're not too keen on giving our horses much shots or things like that. My family has always been that way and our horses have always been nothing but wonderfully healthy horses!

Kyle