Re: [RC] [RC] You endurance folks rock! - Alissa Norman

Hi D'Arcy,

Fair Hill as a whole is a state owned piece of property covering about 5,000 acres in northern Maryland.

Fair Hill Training Center, where Barbaro trained, is in one corner of this whole piece of property.  I'm not sure if the training center is still on state owned land, just leased, or if it actually belongs to the training center.

And then there's about 20 barns at the training center, owned or leased (I'm not sure which) by trainers.  Some have their own barns.  Some share with other trainers.

There's two training tracks, and I think they are soon changing one surface over to a synthetic surface instead of the sand/loam mix it is currently.

Across the road there is a steeplechase course, where horses from the training center can also train on turf, if the weather is good.  There is one day of steeplechase racing each year.

Even further across the road is a CCI*** Three Day Event cross country course, where Fair Hill International hosts a three day event every fall, and where the likes of Karen O'Connor and Bruce Davidson ride.

And then, all throughout, are fields, trails, creeks, woods, etc.  All rolling hills.  Gorgeous place, fun to ride on.  And it's really cool - you can pull up and park in the parking lot just below the training track.  You can ride across the bridge and along side the steeplechase course.  And then you go through the tunnel and pop out on the cross country course, riding right up to the HUGE fences out there.  I like to play in the water complex with my boy.

We're pretty lucky.  It's an amazing piece of property.  Come ride with us sometime!

Alissa