Re: [RC] Followup to URGENT: Easyboot Bare sizing/fitting question...how it all turned out (with pics) - Laney Humphrey

Sharon, I laughed til I cried because I've gone through almost exactly the same process. Believe me, it will get easier from now on!!! You sound like a woman after my own heart - if there's a way to make a simple job hard I'll find it. I dropped a screw down the bathroom sink and had to ask easycare to send me more. But just think of all the really important life skills you have acquired: taking off and putting on gaiters, tightening Bares, understanding the value of gloves & not for reasons of beauty. The boots do stretch and so do the gaiters. When my boots were brand new I hardly had any overlap. Of course, that was partly due to the fact that I didn't have the boots pulled up as far as I should have. But don't forget not to tug on the gaiter. Your horse is trainable, teach him to help you by putting his foot down at just the right moment so you've got momentum on your side in pulling up the gaiter. My boots finally stretched so much that my horse sounded like he was walking down the trail in his bedroom slippers. I actually had to tighten the boots from the middle to the tightest hole.
I hope everything continues to go well and your need for valium decreases!
Laney

Sharon Levasseur wrote:
OK... here's how it went.

1. For crying out loud. 2. For Pete's sake.
3. Oh dear Lord.
4. Holy Mary Mother of God.
5. Stand still you idiot.
6. Ouch!
7. If you don't stand still I will kill you.
8. Sh!t.
9. AAAAAEEERRRGHHHHH!
10. Oh for Christ's sake!!!!!
11. GAAAAAAH!
12. F****** A!!!
13. *wipes up blood*
14. Oh OK, there it goes. That wasn't so hard!

Pics...
Right: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/Sharon1359/IMG_0111.jpg
Left: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/Sharon1359/IMG_0113.jpg
Top: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/Sharon1359/IMG_0115.jpg
Heel: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/Sharon1359/IMG_0118.jpg

Thoughts...

There should be a certification process.  "You must successfully use
Easyboots 50 times before moving to Epics, and then use Epics AT LEAST 50
times before you are allowed to buy Bares."

There should be a big warning on the packaging... "DO NOT, under any
circumstances, even when your life is threatened, ever remove the gaiter!"

Cheap duct tape doesn't stick to Easy Boot plastic.

Forget what the instructions say, you really CAN tighten the bungee while
the boots are on the horse... as long as you're going from the loosest hole
to the middle hole.

Forget what the instructions say, even with the boot on the workbench you
CAN NOT tighten the bungee all the way.  You can only go to the middle hole.
The rubber just won't let you.

Do not ever, under any circumstances, leave the washers stuck inside the
tiny depression they make on the outside of the gaiter, without the screws.
You will lose them even if the gaiter does nothing but sit on the workbench
and look at you menacingly.  Ditto for the little brass thingies you put the
screws into.

For projects like this it's really handy to have your only set of crossties
be in your attached garage, so you can just step into the house and get a
band-aid (or Valium) from the kitchen cabinet and still only be 15 feet from
your frustrated and bored horse.

Those little brass thingies you put the screws into are really hard on the
pads of your fingertips.  Wear gloves.

Wear WORK gloves.  Your riding gloves aren't up to the task.  Unless you
wanted new ones anyway, that is.

The steps...

First I rasped a good mustang roll onto the outside edges of both front
feet. Then took the gaiter off of one boot, and put the boot onto each of
his front feet in turn. I really didn't think either foot ever made it the
whole way into the boot but I couldn't really tell, there wasn't enough room
to get my finger in there and feel. So I took the boot off, cut out the
heel strap, and put the boot back on. I wish I'd taken a pic at this stage,
his foot filled up the boot so completely that even without any screws
holding it together, when I removed it I swear I heard the suction let go.
Wow. So then I took the second boot out of the box and made the same
modifications. Afterwards I spent almost an hour trying to get the gaiters
back on. (I couldn't safely cut the heel straps with the gaiters attached.)
That's where most of the swearing came in. Those damn holes DO NOT line up.
Finally got the gaiters back on and managed to get the boots on his feet
with the bungees on the loosest setting. Wasn't easy though.

The gaiter straps really don't seem long enough, the neoprene barely
overlaps and the velcro certainly doesn't. The instructions say the velcro
usually overlaps. Maybe he just has thick pasterns?

I rode up and down the paved driveway bareback for a few minutes in the
snowy twilight, and they seemed fine.  He could walk, jog, and foxtrot
easily.  The only weird thing was that the walk didn't sound like da-dump
da-dump, it sounded more like da-da-dump, da-da-dump.  I couldn't tell
whether it was the front feet or the hind... sure didn't sound like the
front... but then I was on top and it was dark, so I couldn't really see.
Maybe next time.  With the boot itself so tight I wouldn't think it would
move around enough to make noise.  I did the twist test after my ride and
there was NO movement that way.  Dunno.

I'll be interested to see whether I can get them on his feet next time with
the bungees already in the middle position.  I don't think I rode enough to
get them stretched out that much but we'll see.  I'll also be interested to
see whether I am able to tighten them to the smallest setting after we use
them for a while.  So far I doubt it.

-Sharon L. in Maine

-----Original Message----- From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Sharon Levasseur Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2007 2:07 PM To: ridecamp Subject: Re: [RC] [RC] URGENT: Easyboot Bare sizing/fitting question

Under the theory that someone else out there has the same issue... here's my
plan of attack (after all your responses and after calling Easy Care again).

First, some answers to my questions.

Easy Care's official story is that they will not accept boots for exchange
if
they are not in totally new condition.  I wish I'd gotten that service rep's
name last night, because she said they WOULD.

There is a .25" difference in the interior width of a size 1 and a size 2.
There is a .44" difference in the interior length of a size 1 and a size 2.

OK, here's the plan:

1. Remove gaiter to get it completely out of the way so it doesn't slide
under
the heel even a little.
2. Rasp a thorough mustang roll around the entire outside of the hoof,
thereby
creating a smaller hoof.  (If the size 1 goes on this way, then by the time
the
hoof grows out again the boot will be broken in.)
3. Soak the boot in hot water to soften the rubber.  (Don't soak  the
gaiter, it
will show wear!!)
4. Try to put the boot on.
5. If it goes on, reinstall the gaiter ("training it" overnight first if
necessary), and then go ride... problem solved.
6. If it doesn't go on, take out the heel strap entirely (but do not let him
walk around).
7. Try to put the boot on.
8. If it goes on without a heel strap, order heel tapers to replace the
strap.
(Cutting the strap leaves sharp edges, which may or may not cause a
problem.)
9. If it still won't go on without a heel strap, order a size 2.

Hope this works...
-Sharon L. in Maine