Re: [RC] My endurance horse died in a pasture accident - Jody Rogers-Buttram

Not to open up Pandora's box on RC, but this statement is like a double edged sword.
I agree we should be major concerned with the welfare of the horse...I will gladly lead the
parade on that topic.  But, what is fun to a horse?

Fun ( I would think) is eating, sleeping and doing much of nothing with their buddies.
Fun ( I would think) is running in the pasture, kicking up at one another.
Fun ( I would think) is never having a person sit on their back, never being shod,
never having to have their teeth floated, or never getting stuck with a needle.

Horses do the things that they do for us, because we have taught them to be
accepting and obedient.  Not because they want to.  If it was because they wanted
to, we could show them one time, and they would never fail to do what we asked.

Horses appear  to enjoy theirselves because of excitment, and other factors.

Cash jumps in the trailer.  Not because he wants to go to a ride, but because he is not
wanting to get into trouble with me.
Rose stands like a statue for me to do anything to her.  Again, because she has been
trained to do just that.
Aries is so obedient that she will pull the buggy with no prior training....because she is very
well trained to do what is asked of her.

The point is, FUN is not what is fun for us....but what is fun for them.  And I would bet that nearly
100% of what domestic horses do for us humans....is not fun for them.

Jody  (who is taking Cash, Rose and Aries to a ride this weekend for fun....for ME )

PS.   My old endurance horse died from an injury in the pasture as well.  He broke his hip running and having FUN.

k s swigart <katswig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The question to ask ourselves as endurance riders if we are concerned
about the welfare of endurance horses is: Is this fun for the horse?
And: Will his life continue to be fun even after I have stopped playing
at endurance with him?

The fish are biting.