Re: [RC] My endurance horse died in a pasture accident - patty peck

I agree with you sooooooo totally.  I have lost 2 young promising endurance prospects  at our place in the last 10 years from "accidents".  One likely broke his neck getting cast in a stall at night and the other blew out his hock playing in a flat, hole free pasture, (just pivoted wrong on one back leg, witnessed event).   I have re-lived both these events over and over, and I really don't think either one was preventable.  Should I have kept the horse that got cast in a pasture with lots of room?  Should I have kept the horse that blew out his hock,  stalled?

Am I a irresponsible horse owner? NO.  Should I be banned from endurance because they were bred and raised to be endurance horses? NO

I think differently about losing a horse due to endurance than I used to.  I will always put my horse's welfare first,  but will not obsess about them dying at a ride.  This statement does not mean I think horse deaths are OK.  Just puts it into prospective for me.

Patty

k s swigart <katswig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
.

It was that statement from him that helps me to understand that horses
die all the time from all kinds of things (my horse died "because" I
turned him out to play with his son????).

This obsession that so many people here have with fatality rates and
horses dying at endurance rides is the WRONG thing to be focusing on
with respect to welfare of endurance horses. The question to ask is not
"does doing endurance kill horses?" because the answer to that is
"probably not any more than just being horses does." But rather the
question to ask is, "Does being an endurance horse reduce the quality of
life of the horse?"

with theYahoo! Search weather shortcut.