Re: [RC] [RC] URGENT: Easyboot Bare sizing/fitting question -Sharon Levasseur - Sharon Levasseur

Karen,

Thanks for replying.  I did hold the bottom of the boot up to the bottom of the
hoof last night, and I did wonder how the heck it could be expected to go on
there.  The bottom the hoof wasn't bigger than the bottom of the boot, there
just wasn't much extra room.

I've already started to check into the tips on those websites.  But my big
concern is, I bought these from Valley Vet and they won't take them back if
there is *any* sign of use.  I really hesitate to do anything more with the 1s
before I know for sure that they will eventually work.  I CERTAINLY can't put
them on his back feet and go ride if I plan to send them back to VVet.  Easy
Care did say they'd help me out if VVet wouldn't take them back, but at that
point we were just talking about getting them noticeably dirty, not actually
riding in them.  Will they take them back in exchange for 2s if they've been
ridden in?

At the very least, tonight I will get out the rasp and give him a really nice
mustang roll around all the edges.  He could use one anyway.  Then I'll try
them again on the front feet.  If "no go", then I'll try them on the back feet.
But I won't ride that way until I hear back from you about whether Easy Care
will take them in exchange if they still don't work on the front!

Two final questions:

1. Does removing the heel strap (and replacing with tapers) do anything at all
to increase the interior width?  Or does it only help with length?

2. What is the actual gain in interior width between a size 1 and a size 2?

Thanks again,
-Sharon L.

Quoting Dream Weaver <nvrider@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

Sharon - hold the boot up to the bottom of the hoof. That should show
you if there is any chance in getting the foot into the boot.  The
Bares are more difficult to get on initially - and are probably more
suitable for experienced users than a new to boot user.  (however,
that isn't always the case as some new users have taken to them
really well)   I have found that once I have used the Bares a couple
of times I can slip them on and off quite easily, and I am putting
them on a horse most of the time whose feet definitely measure into
the next size up. If I hold a 1 up to the bottom of his hoof you
would wonder how it goes in there.

I have a bunch of tips on my blog (
http://easycareinc.typepad.com/karen/ ) , or just go to this page and
view some of the
links:  http://www.easycareinc.com/our_boots/easyboot_bare/easybare_tips.aspx

I've never had growth between trims be an issue with my horses.  If
the hoof does grow then usually you can round an edge or two with a
rasp in a minute to get the boot on - I've done that maybe once or
twice in two or three years.  If you are trying to get them on the
front feet (assuming?), try them on the hinds.  Then walk the horse
around for a couple of minutes.  They become more flexible with use
and that should allow them to then go on the front feet easier.  That
is usually how I start out a new pair of Bares.

My advice would be to check further to ensure that the size is
correct and then follow some of the tips at the above link.  The
boots work best if they fit snug.  I love having a set of well worn
Bares, I've had them go 650 plus miles of competition and still be in
great shape.  Good luck.  Karen