RE: [RC] Equitation - Bonnie Peralez

You really can’t compare show ring equitation with trail riding equitation. Every discipline has its own style of riding. What most distance riders need are centered riding instructions so that they are aware of their body and how it is influencing their horse.

I took dressage lessons from a centered riding instructor for 6 years and it was the best money I ever spent. I learned to feel when I was not in balance and how to make the corrections. You would not want to ride 50 miles in a proper dressage seat. But you would want to ride 50 miles with your legs under you and your pelvis and seat bones correctly seated in the saddle. I went to two clinics with Mary Wanless and she said to imagine your horse was a balloon. You would have to sit lightly on that balloon or it would burst.

Many riders cannot ride with good equitation because their saddle will not let them. It is impossible to fight a saddle for many miles before you just give up and ride with your legs out in front and your rear up against the cantle.

NATRC judges look for lightness and balance and correctly fitting tack. They do not expect anyone to stand in the stirrups the entire ride. In fact you would probably have a negative remark on your score card if you did. A good horsemanship judge can watch you go down the trail and tell if you are heavy in the saddle or light in the saddle without ever seeing daylight between your seat and the saddle.

While I am on this subject, my vet has vetted endurance rides and Tevis. He said he can tell right away who the NATRC riders just by the fact that their horses are better behaved at check-in, their presentation to the judges are done in a safe manner, and they ride better than the average endurance rider.

Bonnie

www.thistledown-borderterriers.com