Re: [RC] APEX Clinic Review - rides2far@xxxxxxxx

There were different levels, I think from $100 to $400. You could
audit one day, or two, or bring a horse and do the group sessions
(silver level) or do the whole shebang with your horse, private
lessons, consultation, etc. I think that was $400. I have the
paperwork at home. Since I was on foot with no horse I actually
benefitted in many ways since I watched the critique of many
different shoe jobs and saw several riding lessons. On the one hand I
could say that was an advantage, on the other I'd have loved for them
to critique *my* horse's shoes, and my riding, and I'd have loved for
John to critique *my* program. :-)

Angie

-- Sharon Levasseur <sharon1359@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
WOW, that sounds AMAZING, I wish I were closer.  How much did it cost?
-Sharon L. in Maine

Quoting rides2far@xxxxxxxx:

Well, I'm just back from the APEX Clinic that Stagg & Cheryl Newman
hosted on their *gorgeous* farm and the neighboring Pisgah View
Ranch
near Asheville, NC and I'm just kind of overwhelmed trying to
replay all
that I soaked in this weekend.

I can honestly say I picked up more *new* things in 36 hours than
I'd
been exposed to in a long long time. I think a lot of us have kind
of hit
a plateau where we've mastered most of what's in the "how to do
endurance" books.  It's seems that most of the books, articles, etc
are
aimed at people who are somewhat new to the sport...or they're
medical
journal articles which sound like latin and dare not say anything
that 10
double blind studies haven't confirmed. But this was stuff for the
person
who is wanting to go a little past their comfort zone, whether it
was a
25 who wanted to do 50, a 50 who wanted to do 100, or a 100 miler
who was
toying with the idea of international.  There was such a low
student to
clinician ratio that the participants who went for the top level of
the
clinic had a full hour to just sit with John Crandell and discuss
what
they had done, would like to do, how they'd been training, etc. and
get
some tips on where to go from there.

Lucky me, since I was in charge of videoing the clinic, I got to
sit in
on several of these meetings so long as the person was OK with that
and I
learned so much. Each person had totally different goals and
obstacles
and it was so much better than just hearing him talk to a room of
300
people.  He's such a low key guy that everyone seemed almost
instantly at
ease. It just took a minute or two to realize you wen't bothering
him...his time was ALL YOURS for that hour.

Stagg Newman worked with the participants focusing on training.
Groups of
maybe 10 riders saddled up at a time and for anyone who didn't have
heart monitor they had rounded up enough to loan them one. They
took base
pulses, warmed the horses up, then went off on a mountainous
training
ride right out the back of his farm. It was hard not to envy them
looking
up at that ridge line. Stagg rode his young horse in training whose
name
I'm sure we'll all be hearing soon enough. He's called Winston and
I've
been in here admiring his stride in slow motion on my videos. >sigh<
Under the heading of "Luckiest little girl in the world" my daughter
Josie got to ride Jayel Super for Stagg and was about to burst with
pride
when she got to call out his unbelievably low heart rates as they
trotted
up the continueous climb. I could tell it was really valuable to
have
that many horses calling out their heart rates to share them with
each
other. The heart rates were recorded on a computer read out and
participants got a copy before they left. I heard several of the
riders
who were the cautious "I don't know if I should ride my horse
farther in
competition" types who were very pleasantly surprised that their
horses
were more fit than they'd realized.

Another "station" was where participants had their horse's
conformation
analyzed by Ann Stuart DVM Chef d' Equipe  for team USA, and shoeing
analyzed by USA's team farrier Jeff Pauley. They sort of worked
together,
going over the horse somewhat like a prepurchase exam making
notations,
checking levelness of shoulders, hips, signs of overdeveopment on
one
side, shoeing problems (many of those) etc. Then they trotted them
which
showed many problems with balance in shoeing (I feel their pain).
Jeff
wrote out suggestions for improvement that they could give their
farrier,
or they could have him work on the horse. They also offered
radiographs
(digital) on the spot and bloodwork (which some took advantage of
as they
came in off the training ride with Stagg) They also did flex
tests.  Not
often you can get the full attention of a good vet & farrier working
together at the same time.

Another station was the arena where Lisa Maxwell gave riding
lessons. If
I recall correctly, Stagg has told me about her before. She is the
one
who helped with Super's dressage training and has taken an Arab to
Grand
Prix level before so has maybe a bit more insight than many
instructors
care to have about dealing with an Arab. I really enjoyed videoing
standing next to her...but got dizzy so quickly I just couldn't
hang out
there for too awfully long. >g< She was very soft spoken, very
kind, and
stayed unruffled when little distractions like 10 horses returning
from a
mountain trail ride totally blew the concentration of the
participant.
:-)

This was the first of what the APEX group hopes will be
many "continueing
education" type clinics. My personal reaction to it was excitement.
It's
so easy to just get in a rut and do the same "safe" thing over and
over
until you become bored. We may be able to ride 50 miles without
improving
our equitation but 100 would force us to make changes and
improve...do we
do it or just keep on doing the same thing we've been doing?  It's
easy
to look at the price tag on these things and rule them out...but
when I
think about how I saw a young horse that most of us would kill for
and
the rider was absolutely crazy about tolerating a shoe job that was
absolutely wrong for him, I *know* she was probably saved months of
problems, and lots of money in diagnosis and I'd say it was a
BARGAIN.
The cost was probably much like going to one or two rides. The
atmosphere
of having a fun weekend with your horse was much the same, and the
lasting affects were probably far more valuable than two more
completions
on your record...and FAR more valuable than two pulls that might
have
been caused by things we're doing wrong if we have to learn it the
hard
way by ourselves.

The Pisgah View Ranch, a really neat old vacation type facility
that is
next door to Stagg's place. Word from Stagg is that they're going
to open
it to outside horses this summer so some of your Floridians may
want to
go to the mountains for a training holiday up there this summer. It
was a
really neat place with a big old lodge where we had the lectures in
knotty pine paneled room surrounded by screened in porches.

Whew. I've talked so much but I guess you can tell I thought it was
wonderful experience. The APEX group's goal is simply to offer
furthering
education to those who want *more* knowledge, experience, guidance,
continue to shoot for higher goals...whatever they may be. They are
hoping to have possibly one more "intro" clinic repeating the same
subject areas as this time, then go on to occasional (maybe
semi-annually?) clinics bringing in new experts and focusing on
other
subjects...so they will build on one another. Again, avoiding that
getting stuck in a "intro to" level world.

I hope I didn't misrepresent any of this material, if I did I'll
blame
lack of sleep and Stagg is welcome to correct me. I can't thank them
enough for putting the clinic on. I know they must be exhausted
from it
all. I came home pumped and ready to get out of my rut and try and
improve myself and my horse.

Angie McGhee

=