Re: [RC] World Endurance Forum - In Summary - Truman Prevatt

Observation and Collaboration
Thoughts on the World Endurance Forum in Paris – April 1, 2007.
Nice words, but alas nice words is the largest commodity - easy to come by. Don't get me wrong - it is refreshing that they are finally admitting to a problem. However, I suspect that not everyone sees a problem - that is seldom the case. No matter the nice words - the proof is in the action and we have seen no action that would address the treatment barn full of horses at rides like the WEC, Pan Am, etc.

For my money - the AERC has no dog in this fight. There is nothing positive the AERC can take away from being aligned with the USEF/FEI - especially if there are not significant changes in the FEI championship rides. While a lot of our members feel we can do a better job in the AERC and there is always room for improvement, how many AERC rides do you see a barn full of horses being treated?

For my money, the AERC should disassociate with international riding - leaving that to the USEF to manage. If a some time in the future the FEI shows that they are serious about reforming international endurance to mitigate the current issues - then it would be fitting and proper for the AERC to associate with the sport on the international level. Personally IMO the onus is on the FEI to clean its endurance house. I've seen a lot of pretty words of inspiration written. Pretty words and $3.50 will get you a Latte at Starbucks - but nothing more.

Truman

--

“Since when have we Americans been expected to bow submissively to authority and speak with awe and reverence to those who represent us?” Justice William O. Douglas