Re: [RC] My recruitment - Lynne Glazer

My college roommate from Idaho recruited me, years later when she'd been doing LD on her QH-Arab Palomino. She tended to be the turtle even then, though she's done 2500 or so of 50s since. I was also hooked on my first ride, despite heat exhaustion from not knowing I should be drinking in 105 degree weather, while RIDING. <d'oh> My first piece of endurance tack was a simple Griffins water bottle holder the collapsible one with the rawhide ties (i still use that on on my bareback pad!) It was a present from my friend. My horses were too old (in 20s) and too young (2), so I went to Idaho to ride on borrowed (Morris) horses.

Started reading RC very early, and compiled a "Best of Ridecamp" binder of the "good stuff" in 9 categories, 3" thick, that I loaned out to my recruits, and sent a copy to Steph and John. Once my critter was old enough, I had a few people at my barn who were enthusiastically training too. I didn't own a truck or trailer, that was a limiting factor. After some frustration with a used truck and bumper pull, I bought a diesel as a daily use vehicle and have been driving one ever since, and bought a used 4h gooseneck trailer so that my friends could come along--it was fun talking about those days recently at a remodeling/warming party one of them had. I still have that trailer, one of the old good Sundowners.

I still have that binder, and the "save as text" source somewhere-- with sections on feeds/feeding, tack, etc. but most important were the humor and inspiration sections. That's where Julie Suhr's stories went, and Angie's of course. Pam bought me a subscription to Trail Blazer which had subscription fulfillment troubles even back then, which is where I read (and saved) Angie's sponge story.

Then of course there were the ride management years, where part of that was helping new riders be more prepared for my events. Lots of phone support and some railing at the general membership meetings at convention about how we needed to better mentor new riders. Was part of the mentor list that Steph started.

I never overtrained, but my mare and I did have our share of injuries to work through, which delayed our getting there and consistency. She of course suffered the Great Saddle Hunt (5 saddles) and my ignorance of long toe low heel (is THAT why she always needed trimming by 5 weeks? I though she just grew a lot of foot. <sigh>)

Lynne
dryest SoCal ever

http://www.photo.lynnesite.com

http://www.photo.lynnesite.com