[RC] My recruitment - rides2far@xxxxxxxx

I had read about endurance when I was a teen and was dying to do it,
even wrote a paper on it in the 11th grade, but Tevis was the only
thing I found any info on. Didn't even know there was a ride east of
the Mississippi I don't guess.

Got married, quit trying to show & such but did more trail riding
than ever. When I was 26 (1986) and pregnant a trail riding
acquaintance of mine called me and told me she had met some real live
endurance riders and they were going to come to her place and go
riding Sunday!  I drove an hour to get to her house and took my
husband to ride his horse with them while I sat at her house, just so
he could tell me what it was like. I just looked at them as they
saddled & unsaddled...in awe.

Then I had my baby and thought I couldn't possibly compete...the
closest one was 100 miles away!! (If ONLY they had one in my town!)
My friend did one 50 on her mule and started badgering me to get my
horse in training. I told her it was impossible, my husband worked 56
hours a week and we were poor with me staying home with an infant.

My big 16 hand App was off the track and I'd done barrels with him.
He was a real handful and after 10 years of riding him I was ready
for something sane now that I was a mama. I put him up for sale but
everyone who tried him was scared of him, except one man who kind of
wanted him, but I didn't like him so I got on and kinda did the spin
him in circles one direction, then the other, then backed him 50' to
jazz him up then he bot all tall, bowed up and snorty hopping up and
down on his toes and the guy and he left. :-)

The friend who'd competed called me to see if I'd had any luck
selling him and I said, "Nobody wants him, I guess I'll have to do
endurance with him" and she took me SERIOUSLY. She said, OK, here's
what you do. This week you'll ride him an hour each day for 5 days,
then we'll all do 20 miles Saturday. She sounded so confident I just
decided to try it. I got out of bed at 4:45. I went to the farm a
mile away where I kept him, saddled him in the dark, rode an hour and
climbed back in bed with the baby just as Bill was leaving for work
at 7:30. It was great. I used to wake up at 10 AM and feel like I'd
dreamed I rode that morning.>g<

I overtrained that horse too, but he did get to where he was a very
fun, sane ride when you rode the fool out of him (literally). I ended
up straining his tendon two weeks before the ride. I was heartbroken,
but decided to pull another Appaloosa I'd just bought to resale out
of the field and do the 25. When I got to the ride and did the 25 it
was over so quick I almost cried. I'd trained so hard and in 2 1/2
hrs. was done (it was cool, he trotted like a freight train and FLEW
down hills).

After I finished I was walking through camp and saw my friend. She
was in tears. She was a big woman and liked to train her horse
herself but get a slim friend to ride it on ride day. Her slim friend
had whacked her knee on a tree after 25 miles and pulled herself! (if
she'd been the person who'd trained so hard to get the horse there I
bet she wouldn't have). Anyway, I said, "Let me finish it" and being
the stupid beginners we were it sounded sensible to us. She drove me
to the away check where the horse was standing eating hay and all the
other riders had been gone for some time. I got a leg up on her and
took off. I could barely reach the stirrups on their highest notch
and tiptoed the whole 25 miles. I actually passed 2 horses and it was
the most exciting thing I'd ever done. We were such doofs, we even
got the ride manager to tell us that he thought it was OK for us to
give the 1st Appaloosa award...which our club sponsored, to this
mare...because after all it wasn't an AERC award so who cared if we
had switched riders? It's a wonder the lady on the 1st App who
completed under AERC rules didn't kick our tails.

There was absolutely no doubt I was totally, completely hooked from
the first ride. So, my lineage was that I was recruited by my
App/mule riding friend, who was recruited by the Arab riding
endurance rider who had spotted her reading a horse magazine at their
elementary school's car pickup line and recruited her.

Those guys had the old Linda & Wentworth Tellington-Jones book that
they lived by and loaned it to me along with some early 80's
yearbooks. When I started recruiting people I photocopied every
article out of 10 years worth of Equus that mentioned endurance &
training and we loaned the big brown envelope full of them to every
new rider we brought in and we watched Darolyn's Farnum endurance/ct
tape. I listened to Matthew Mackay Smith's lecture over and over. The
main image I remember is the coathanger. If you bend it over and over
in the same place, it eventually breaks. That was what kept happening
to me. Too much stress...not enough time to heal. I train so much
less now to go so much farther.

Angie
Angie