Re: [RC] In the publics eye? - Diane Trefethen

On the issue of AERC involvement with International Endurance, I think Truman is dead on.

One of the fundamental issues that must be addressed is that of responsibility. We can all appreciate how unfair it is to set up a project, place someone in charge, deny that person any authority to allocate resources or exercise any control, and then if the project fails, blame that person. Yet that is precisely the position AERC is in today with respect to Int'l Endurance. We have virtually no say, no control over the direction in which that activity is moving but if an Olympic Endurance event provides the people of the world, USA included, with the horrific images of vets desperately trying to save horses' lives, not only animal rights groups but every person who loves horses will rally against our "cruel and inhumane" sport. Despite AERC having no control over USET/FEI/Dubai, the members of AERC will be the ones to pay the penalty when the government closes us down as perpetrators of unspeakable cruelty.

If you don't think so, look how the politicians have handled the horse slaughter issue. Inhumane treatment of animals destined for slaughter is wrong. But instead of addressing the FACTS of cruel treatment, the politicos pandered to EMOTIONAL appeals. Read the act... it is replete with stuff about how wonderful the horse is and how he has been a loyal companion in the taming of our great country. That is all emotion. And that same emotion will be inflamed 10 fold if there are multiple deaths, live and in color in every living room across the United States, courtesy of a new Olympic Endurance event. Do you think for one minute horse lovers in the US won't clamor for an end to this inhumane treatment of our beloved fellow travelers through history? You better dang well believe they will.

In short, we'll lose it all. And it won't do a bit of good for us to say, "But WE don't operate that way. WE take care of our horses. WE don't sacrifice their health and well-being to win just one big race." THE PEOPLE will have seen what "Endurance" REALLY is with their own eyes. We won't have a prayer.

The writing is already on the wall. AERC is an international eunuch. No power, no sway, no influence. OUR sport is NOT what is being promoted by FEI as "Endurance". The name Endurance was chosen because horses and riders were expected to endure the trail, endure the weather and prevail. The only enduring spending 7 hours on a race track entails is enduring boredom, as Maryanne pointed out. And I do hope you noticed her warning about the numerous horses that were injured or died.

As Truman said, FEI "Endurance" is now viable and since they have chosen to pursue a racing model instead of an enduring model, it is time for us to say a not so fond goodbye and divorce ourselves entirely from their endeavors. The argument that we can do a better job fighting for real Endurance if we are on the inside does not apply here. We started Endurance. We WERE the movers and shakers. But money and influence have so completely altered the objectives of the FEI version of the sport that there is no hope of getting it back. Staying in will NOT allow us to change anything... it will only cement in the public's mind, when the debacle comes, that WE are a vital part of the process and condone it by our presence.