[RC] Recruited.. - Ranelle Rubin

In 1988, a friend of mine boarded her horse at an endurance rider's house in Cool, Larry Deakyne. Larry had told her if she ever wanted to borrow a horse, they had a mare she could use anytime. One Sat am, she invited me to go ride with her. At the time, my barrel horse was a pasture pet at 28yr old, and my next trail horse was only 2, a Morgan filly.

So, we showed up to ride and the mare was missing a shoe. My friend told me to go out and see if I could catch one of the two geldings in the pasture. I went out, picked out the nicest one, and brought him up to the barn.

A few miles down the trail to the river we ran into the owners hiking. Larry had a shocked look on his face, and asked, "How did you catch my horse?"..I said, "With a halter..?" He asked how he was doing, I said he was a blast to ride.. He asked me if I liked cold beer..? I said, "but, of course"..he said "Have a good ride..ride him as far as you like, and I'll have a beer waiting for you"..

Turned out, the reason he was hiking was he couldn't catch his horse, and living out of the area 5 days a week made it difficult for him to condition. He ended up hiring me to ride him during the week, and finished 7th on Tevis the next year. This was a Serafix grandson out of a Witez II dtr..what an incredible horse he was..I will never forget that horse, and the lessons he taught me..centered riding at it's best..I did my first 50 on him a month after Tevis..finished 13th and I was hooked!

Larry introduced me to Hal and Ann Hall, and the rest is history..have had the fortune of riding several of their horses in their youth..

Ranelle Rubin
R.Rubin Consulting

raneller@xxxxxxx

916-663-4140 home office