[RC] How I was(n't) recruited - k s swigart

Angie said:

Think back to 1997, any of you who were around,
and tell me how you found this sport if you weren't
recruited.

In 1990 there was an article in Practical Horseman about Lari Shea
riding and winning the Tevis Cup, and I thought, "that sounds like a
sport for me."

So I checked out a book from the library (written by some english
woman--Ann Hyland I think) about endurance riding (which was endurance
riding british style) and followed some of the conditioning suggestions,
and contacted the AERC (which I think was referred to in the PH article,
but perhaps not) and got a copy of a calendar (and asked them if I could
bring my stallion, since most other trail riding organizations disallow
it), and chose a ride (Eastern High Sierra Classic) that seemed to fit
into my schedule and looked like an interesting place to ride.

Called the ride manager (Jim/Jackie Bumgardner) and asked how to enter
the ride; they sent me an entry form.  I mailed it in, borrowed a truck
and trailer, and showed up at the ride....with a conditioned horse, but
totally clueless about absolutely everything else (I had never camped
with a horse).

When I got to the ride, I quizzed the person parked next to me (who also
happened to have a stallion) about just about anything he thought I
needed to know.  He told me what he could, and gave me a copy of a
different article from Arabian Horse World about Remington Steele doing
Tevis.  I told the ride managers that I had never done a ride before,
please tell me what I needed to do.  I told the ride vets I had never
done a ride before, please tell me what I needed to do.  I showed up at
the pre-ride meeting and whispered in the ear of the person next to me,
"What is P&R?  And what does 'no inversion' mean?" (remember this was
back in 1990 when they still did have R requirements).

I didn't find anybody to be unhelpful or unresponsive, cliquish, or
whatever.  I asked and people answered.

However, I have also never found anybody at any of the horse shows I
have attended to be that way either, or anyplace else is the world for
that matter.

If one approaches just about anybody about just about anything with the
attitude, "I am ignorant, and you are an expert, can you please tell me
what I should/shouldn't be doing?" that such people are more than
willing (in fact eager) to share their expertise with you.  All that is
required is to be genuinely interested in their expertise.

The WORST that they can do is say, "Go away and leave me alone."  But I
have YET to have anybody ever do this.  Of course, you have to do it at
a time when they aren't obviously busy with their own thing.  You can
even do this to Hilda Gurney at a dressage show, just so long as it
isn't when she is about to get on and ride.

kat
Orange County, Calif.