[RC] oh my goodness everyone...(hate mail) - Elyse Carreno

I have been a lurker here for some time, always checking up on the archives but never being moved to post. There have been several threads in particular that have gotten my attention, but after reading all this about Angie's article I had to say something. Something I've particularly loved about endurance over the past 6 or 7 seasons is the general relaxed and supportive attitude that the community has for each other. Endurance suits me most likely because one can mold their endurance experience into however it suits best. For me that includes wearing one of many old nasty ride t-shirts along with the reject pants on sale from the tack shop, all on top my $500 pony. When I talk about endurance to non-endurance people it's usually bubbling with enthusiasm about the general shining quality of the people I get to spend every few weekends with, throughout the season.

What sometimes dismays me when checking the archives is often the snippity, outrageous claim, chip on the shoulder attitude that some people here have for others. Not to sound like a band camp leader, but really guys, that's not in the true endurance spirit. Everyone is always going to have a different opinion on things because different things work for different people. What gets a little out of hand is the level to which we get to insulting our fellow riders.

In response to Angie's situation in particular, I think it's just another example of those who must always have an issue with something, a chip on the shoulder. Some people tend to blow things so way out of proportion. I personally thought it was funny, and in fact was a humerous arguement for bringing others into the sport...if they're nutty enough to handle it. I have been lucky enough to have some great mentors over my years of breaking into the sport as a high school student with a halter bred QH and borrowed ponies, and now finally a poor college student on a pure bred arabian mare which a veteran rider/vet gave me a great deal on. This mare is quickly turning out to be a great kid's horse, and in a few years I can't wait to mentor a junior or newbie on her.

So please everyone, lets get back to endurance, and in general, leave the drama in high school.

-Elyse in Va