RE: [RC] [RC] bitless and plenty of whoa - Christina McCarthy

Well said Chris.  My experience is slow training, and changing bits to increased learning...I have always used french snaffles, and moved on to a jointed Myler mullen bit, then a bitless bridle, onto a hackmore, then a thinner snaffle.  I interchange bits depending on what I am teaching my horse.  At some point I will try a curb bit (when he is finished) for headset.  I expose him to various situations, make sure he enjoys each experience, and when he needs to run, let him...he always comes back to me.  I think the bottom line is the relationship you have with your horse dictates how well they listen to you (and even more importantly, how well you listen to them).

Christina McCarthy

From: chrisnstar@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] [RC] bitless and plenty of whoa
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 10:41:09 -0500

Please people, remember that a "bitless" bridle is just another tool in the toolbox. It's not magical. I've got one, have used it, but prefer a bitted bridle for most, not all, of my riding.
Is it more humane than a bitted bridle? Um no. You simply are trading off where the apparatus puts pressure on the horse. The Dr. Cook's bridles put pressure on the poll and nerve points on the face rather than on the mouth.
ANY bridle, heck, even a halter, can be an instrument of torture depending on how it is used. Use a bitless bridle if you want, or an "s" hack, or a vosal or bosal, or a bitted bridle, or whatever. But remember that there is no such thing as a headpiece that doesn't put pressure on the horse somewhere.

"Press on. Nothing can take the place of persistence," Calvin Coolidge
Chris
BayRab Acres http://pages.prodigy.net/paus
Lake RegionSWA http://lakeregionswa.fws1.com