To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2007 12:16 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Telling Distance Without a GPS

Very funny Bruce,
Your #5 about casual trail riders is missing your most favorite salve....beer. I ride with some cowboys once in a while and the saddle bags are always loaded. We make a 3 hour loop thru the hills and about 1/2 hr before home the beer is gone, the bags are full of empties clinking around and the classic no-no race to the barn is on. Those round little quarter horses can really scoot for home so we blast in all lathered up and puffing and they know they just rode over 20 miles because look at how beat their horses are. I never tell them they just rode my 9 mile training ride, they might want to hurt me. One time Ron asked me if my horse was okay because he noticed my horse was just damp on his neck, he liked my explanation that my horse didn't have to work as hard as his because of my lighter saddle and no saddlebags. Drinking beer, walking thru the hills telling stories, I would be an idiot for spoiling that with some complicated, new-fangled GPS technology mileage.
Don Huston