Re: [RC] electrolyte confusion... - Lysane Cree

Hi,

I posted the question about electrolytes and how much to dose (whether it's per mile or per hour), etc.

Someone just pointed out to me that certain endurance electrolytes such as Perform n Win can and should be dosed more frequently because of the makeup of the electrolyte. So how much you give, if you choose to electrolyte, will also depend on the electrolyte you are using, even if it is an "endurance electrolyte".

Just thought I should add that because it does make a difference.

Lysane

Jennifer Adam <jatatahoe1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm so glad you all have brought this up! I've been driving myself nuts
reading articles and talking with my vet to decipher how much/how often I
should e-lyte!! My mare has both a plain salt block and a plain mineral
block in the pasture (I also offer a little powdered mineral once a week or
so, but she's a mustang and for some reason she prefers licking the block. I
know many horses don't.) On our longest ride this summer (40 +/- miles in
high heat and humidity) I gave one dose of e-lytes after she had a good long
drink at the end of our ride, but never was certain I needed to or not.

The articles I've read seem to indicate that too many doses can cause ulcer
problems, mouth irritation, and gastric upset. My vet said he believed too
many people were too quick to e-lyte - he believed a horse on free choice
salt and mineral gets enough before a ride, and only needs a dose or two at
most on long, hot rides to make up for some of the loss... He said that they
will naturally replace what they lose on a ride as they eat over the next
few days and he didn't seem all that concerned... BUT he's not an endurance
rider and has never been, so I don't know how accurate his info is.

I'm a bit wary of giving my horse a bunch of supplements and e-lytes and all
the jazz you see in some catalogs... she takes really good care of herself,
grew up on the range, and seems to know instinctively what she needs to feel
her best. I realize that on an endurance ride it is *my* responsibility to
take care of her, but she's a tough, smart mare and I give her a lot of
credit.

So, how do I know when and if to e-lyte??? What are the rules of thumb to
help us newbies figure it all out? It seems like you can read five things
and get five different answers!!!

Thanks,
Jen and Gypsy ("how good can it be if it comes in a syringe??")

5.5%* 30 year fixed mortgage rate. Good credit refinance. Up to 5 free
quotes - *Terms
https://www2.nextag.com/goto.jsp?product=100000035&url="">