Re: [RC] [RC] Won't hurt? - k s swigart

From: "Kathie Ford" <mspooh17@xxxxxxx>

I spoke to Barney Fleming directly about this. He said
BC2A (not BCAA) is a "food source" and you can not
over do it at all.  It is beneficial.

There are plenty of "food sources" that if you overdo them that they are
not beneficial at all, and just how much is too much can vary greatly
from individual to individual (think sugar).

The one study that was posted about L-carnatine said that oral
supplementation was observed to double the normal amount of the stuff
found in blood analysis.  ANYTHING that alters blood chemistry in this
dramatic of a way may have some negative (and unpredictable) effects.

These effects may not be noticed, or they may not be noticed for a long
time. It is not beyond the realm of possibility that oral
supplementation with a substance that is not normally found in horse
feed (I think the study also said that it is an animal protein not a
plant protein) since horses are not carnivores shouldn't be described as
a "food source" at all with respect to horses.  And since horses are
able to synthesize the amount of this stuff in the amounts that they
normally need, it COULD be that oral supplementation with it may
interfere with the long term ability of the horse to do this properly.

I don't know if this is the case.  I am willing to bet that nobody
knows.  But if anybody has done studies on the effects on blood
chemistry associated with long term oral supplementation with
L-carnatine I am all ears.

If anybody has done any tracking to see if doubling the amount of
L-carnatine associated with oral supplementation has no effect on any
other parameter within the horse (like assorption or synthesization of
other proteins or minerals), I am all ears on that too.

However, to assume that there is no effect besides doubling the amount
of L-carnatine in the blood stream and/or that doing so can only be good
is a major assumption.

I am not saying "don't use it."  I am just saying don't fall into the
trap of thinking in advance that you might as well give it (and here, by
"it" I mean any purported beneficial supplement/feed) a try because it
"won't hurt."  If something has an effect, it can have a negative
effect, and it is wise to take this into consideration before "giving it
a try."

The only way to know for sure that it won't hurt is if you know that it
can't under any circumstances hurt.  And the only way to know this for
sure is to know that it has no effects at all (in which case, the only
effect is the negative one on your pocket book).

To hear a report that a vet has said, in essence, you can't over do it
because it is just food, is a little disquieting.  It is possible to
over do almost any "food."

kat
Orange County, Calif.
:)