Re: [RC] more Whoa needed - Mike Lewis

Thank you for your thoughts here...  The bottom line is that this is will
be a process of trial and error as well as considerable effort.

My wife probably has a large selection of bits in her riding gear.  I own
a hackamore... that's all I ever used on my old gelding and it worked for
him.  Not sure how Molly will respond to a hack.

Thank you,

Mike
--- Tx Trigger <txtrigger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The discussion of what bit to use is common for most disciplines. There
is much to consider when choosing the correct bit. With distance riding,
some of our concerns are control, comfort, ability to eat and drink, and
even weight. There is NO one bit (or bitless) bridle that will work for
every single horse and rider, no matter what someone who sells them will
tell you.  Find the combo that works best for you. Yes, some bits are
referred to as mild, some sever, but they are also as mild or sever as
the hands that use them.  Most of us have reasons to use what we choose.
And it may or may not be the same for all of ones own horses. I have a
Myler kimberwick with a comfort mouth that I like, and also use an S
hackamore some.  With the Myler, I can have the reins on a lower
position for more leverage if needed, or up higher for less if the horse
is sensitive.  Go look at photos of Becky Hart riding Rio, and she had a
shanked western bit, with double reins. One rein on snaffle setting, the
other on leverage. I have ridden some distance horses with that very set
up too. They needed the snaffle setting most the time, but if I needed
to get a bit more hold of them, it was usually light pressure to the
curb (leverage) rein that got the results I needed. No need to yank or
tug, just light hands. As someone mentioned,a horse tugging and pulling
against the reins with a snaffle bit is probably worst than a rider who
has light contact with a leverage bit. Yes, retraining for the horse to
not want to "race" all the time may help, but usually is difficult, but
I'd say worth a try.  I will also add, if you do not fully understand
the function of the bit, hackamore, or what ever bridle you use, and the
pros and cons of the equipment, educate yourself with it, so you
understand its use and application. I have seen many people do hard
selling on certain equipment on this list, that it is the "best ever
made", but it may not be the best for YOU and YOUR horse. Don't get
sucked in by salesmanship on anything. Ask questions of other users.
Then use what will make the ride more enjoyable for both you AND your
horse.

Jonni