[RC] An "Epic" Problem - sherman

Sounds like my problems all over again. I found that when the winter hair was on, there was no rubbing, no that Sonny is shedding, rubs are appearing again. I’m going to be trying duct tape next, just a section on the area that rubs. If that doesn’t work, 2” wide PVC tape (non-adhesive, sticks to itself) might be tried, however I can’t wrap the entire hoof, pastern & fetlock like I do with vetwrap, so I don’t know how it would stay in place. If that doesn’t work I’m going to try a patch of rabbit hide in the offending area, which is on the lower half of the pastern, towards the sides and on both sides. The yahoo group “barefoot endurance horses” has daily discussion about this, so you might want to join and get even more ideas & find out what’s been working and what hasn’t been.

Someone at Rides of March suggested using the boot foam, not pouring any in the boot, just using a foam paintbrush and paint the hoof wall  and inside of the sides of the boot with it, that way it’s easier to get off the hoof, just slide a screwdriver around to loosen, and also not so much to clean off the boot, drop it in a bucket of water, then what doesn’t come off, boil in a big pot when you get home.

Join the yahoo group for more info, Karen listens in there also.

Kathy

Ok, all you Easyboot Epic users (Karen???), I need some advice.  I'm having a love-hate relationship with these critters, and I never know which relationship it's going to be till it's over.  One ride, they'll be fine, the next, they'll rub my horse.

March 10, I used them on my gelding Bear (front feet) for a 75 miler.  I sprinkled baby powder on his pasterns, wrapped them with vet wrap, and put the Epics on.  Not a single rub during the entire ride...not even a hair out of place.  I thought we'd solved the problem by using the powder.  The following weekend (Mar. 17), we did a 55, using the same baby powder and vet wrap routine...same horse, same pair of Epics.  They rubbed him...front, sides, and rear of pasterns.  *sigh*  What gives???

Dawn in East Texas