[RC] mountain lion behavior - Dawn Simas

Kat is is very accurate in her post (have you been to one of my lectures?! :) ).  And Barbara, Lud's theories are too.  But you are mistaken about horses being their 2nd favorite prey.  Gary, they do hunt wild pigs and turkeys.  And anything else wild, rabbits, rodents, possum, raccoon, snakes, fox, etc.  They are opportunists.  But deer is their primary prey.

Basically, in a nut shell:

If you see the cat, you probably won't get attacked (unless you aggravate it and it feels it has to defend itself).  Don't ask your horse to push it away unless you must because you are cornered.  Just ride or hike on, but do not turn your back on it until out of sight, maintain eye contact.  They don't jump deer that are looking at them and they won't jump you if you are looking right at it.  Remember "ambush hunters".
If you get attacked, you most likely never saw the cat. As was said, they are ambush hunters.

Two things I carry for peace of mind.  I would rather have them than not the day I need them.  Especially if I run across the pot farmer psycho out there too...(more likely):

Pepper Spray.  For when you do see them and if you are threatened.  And non-lethal, so you aren't going to accidently shoot someone or have it taken and used on you by the psycho.
Fixed blade knife.  For when you don't see them.  This will save your life if you have a chance to reach for it and the cat is on you.  Most cougar attacks are survived.  Mostly by hunters (attacked because they are mimicking prey to call it and are mistaken identity, survived because they often have a knife on their belt). Nice to have in an emergency if your horse is tangled in ropes or tack...everyone should carry a knife.

And lastly, cats *have* attacked people on horseback.  But of course it is rare.  But don't be complacent, be prepared.  These cats are becoming more and more accustomed to humans as our population and trail use increases.  In India, 400+ people are killed by tigers.  It skyrocketed in #'s in recent generations as the cats have adapted to the exponentially increasing human population.

Ms. Dawn Simas
Director - Wild About Cats
Wild Feline Conservation, Education, and Rescue